Saturday, May 18, 2013

Dances with Goats

It has been nearly two weeks since WebiGayle and Sweet Candy, two Nigerian Dwarf goats, came to Big Buck Ranch.  Webby has definitely gotten more comfortable with me, but we still have our battles.  After a week in her little pen with her daughter, Sweet Candy, Webby figured out how to escape.  She'd hop onto the roof of her house, then onto the roof of the neighboring chicken coop, hop to the roof of the badly neglected rabbit hutch, and into the chicken run.  Poor Webby then gets stuck on the outside looking at the crying baby doeling in the goat pen.  After a day and half of high flying escapes, I added a cattle panel to the top of Webby's roof.  That stopped her temporarily until she discovered that she could get on the roof and hop over the gate.  Try as I might to keep her in, she figured out how escape even through the tiniest gap.

Friday, I spent my morning rebuilding my goat pen.  The fence line was extended to the edge of my shed/coop/ horse stall/all purpose building.  The gate was moved, climbing toys rearranged, and my two La Mancha kids moved over.  Pipsqueak, our 3 week old Nigerian Dwarf buckling, went to to join his buddies, too.  Webby has tried to get on the roof to figure out how to escape only to learn she can only hop back in.  Score one for me!

Now we need to work on milking time.  The new step up has slightly stressed Webby out.  There are new goats in her pen she needs to learn to live with.  Poor little Sweet Candy gets upset when mama goes off for the milk.  I'm learning how to milk, so I'm painfully slow.  Webby seems to get bored with me after a bit and kicks.  As soon as we're done she's trying to make a mad dash back to baby.  I am getting the hang of things.  This has definitely been a test of patience, something I pray about often.

No comments:

Post a Comment