Sunday, July 29, 2018

Food Truths


It all started about 10 years ago when I read Real Food by Nina Planck.  I began to question what I ate and where it came from. It has spurred me on to read more and eventually return to school to study health and wellness.  With all of the knowledge swimming inside my head, I'm still confused about what I should eat.  Minimally processed, organic, grass-fed, and pastured is best, but how do you feed a family well on a budget.  Making your own baked goods is an excellent way to bypass all of the "junk" in a loaf of white bread or bagel, but it's not practical for most families who are busy juggling jobs and kids' activities.  Over the next few weeks, I'll look at ways to feed your family a more nutritious diet that won't break the bank or make you crazy.

To get us started, I'll briefly touch on fruits and veggies.  With our glorious warmer temperatures it is the perfect time to hit the farmers markets.  Produce prices are very reasonable here and you're getting food picked at the peak of ripeness for extra nutrition.  You also get a chance to talk to your local farmers.  The ones I have talked to grow their fruits and veggies organically, but don't have the certification because it is a tedious expensive process.  Stock up on some of your favorites and freeze them for use over the winter.  Corn, for instance, freezes beautifully.  Just shuck the ears, place them in gallon freezer bags, and your ready to go.  Happy eating!!

No comments:

Post a Comment