Friday, March 28, 2014

Evolution of the Homestead

My little homestead adventure began the spring of 2008.  Somehow my son had developed an obsession with chickens.  Not too sure where that came from!  I had attempted to read Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, but it only confused and overwhelmed me.  So, my son and I took a class on raising backyard chickens.  Suddenly it became simple, doable, and the homestead adventure began!

I have never been one to take my time, ease into things; I like to jump in feet first, go big.  The chickens led to llamas, which led to a short experiment with pygmy goats.  Those animals were eventually re-homed, and I was content with poultry.  

Last spring I decided it was time to take the homestead experiment to a whole new level.  I added lambs and goats.  The lambs were supposed to give me wool and meat, the goats milk.  I loved having the critters around; bottle feeding snuggly lambs, watching my doeling and bucklings leap around their pen.  Those days were simple and peaceful.  Of course reality, finances, and opportunities often throw a wrench into the best laid plans.   

For the past couple of years I had been riding an amazing, slightly moody horse named Flash.  I love that boy dearly!!  Last summer I received a phone call asking if I would like to bring Flask home.  Of course I did, but there had to be some concessions for me to add a 1000 lbs. animal to the ranch.  Unfortunately, the lambs had to go.  There went my plans of meat, wool, and more lambs.  Of course I'd much rather have Flash here with me, but I do miss Cossette and Juliet.  Flash has been a wonderful addition, despite his many quirks.   Then last December we were offered Frank, Flash's buddy.  My daughter is in love with that horse, so he had to join the farm family, too.

So, that brings us to today.  It's time for me to turn my homestead dream into something more than a money pit.  I have plans, I have ideas, I have dreams.  The creative juices are flowing!  In the coming weeks I hope to add a livestock guard dog, a buck for breeding services, and come up with some creative crafts to sell.  

Welcome to my crazy dream!  It's a wild ride, enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment