Saturday, August 22, 2015

A Different Kind of Childhood



I grew up in suburbia, enjoyed trips to the mall, went on weekend getaways, and was lucky enough to visit Europe.  My kids have had a very different upbringing.  We live on the side of a mountain where deer and elk sightings are a daily occurrence.  We've had poultry plundered by fox and our trash can plundered by bear.   Most of us here find trips to the mall an annoyance with too many people.  I think my kids prefer the quieter, slower way of life.  Don't get me wrong, we do fun things.  Colorado offers a wealth of activities from skiing to concerts to amusement parks.  Unfortunately, overnight getaways are a challenge and out of state visits next to impossible.  

Despite the lack of travel, my children have gotten to do things I never did as a child.  Together, we've watched chicks hatch, baby goats born, and seen puppies only minutes old.  We've learned about life and death and how nature can be cruel.  The kids have raised a piglet, chicks, poults, ducklings, kittens, puppies, lambs, and goat kids.  We've bottle-fed baby animals and had baby goats living in the house.  The kids know where their food comes from.  They dig worms in the manure pile and build forts from downed trees in the forest.  I'm slightly jealous of the things they do.  It's a unique childhood filled with fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment