Thursday, December 28, 2017

Gut Health-Simplified





The more I learn about health and nutrition, the more I read about the importance of keeping your gut healthy.  I hadn't realized that a multitude of health issues develop in our guts.  In many circles, it's known as our second brain.  Fun fact; 90% of our serotonin is produced in our intestines.  If you didn't already know serotonin is a hormone that affects our moods.  That alone for me is a huge reason to keep my intestines happy!

I'm not sure if it's Holiday stress or indulging a bit at Holiday parties, but my gut has NOT been happy lately.  TMI alert, but I've been very gassy and bloated.  Trying to return to my usual clean gluten/dairy free diet filled with fruits and veggies didn't help. I added my favorite probiotic to my diet, with no results.  Nothing seemed to help and I was miserable.

Recently, a friend told me about a book called Medical Medium by Anthony William.  It's an interesting look at the cause of many common health problems and how to overcome them.  I finally got to the chapter on gut health, when a light bulb went on.  It made so much sense!  The stress in my life had lowered the production of hydrochloric acid in my stomach hindering digestion.  That was causing all of the intestinal discomfort, my food wasn't digesting properly causing it to basically rot in my intestines.  Interestingly enough you can improve the hydrochloric acid in your stomach with something many of us have in our cupboards; apple cider vinegar (ACV).  My favorite ACV is Bragg's, I've been using it for years for various things, but was amazed to learn it could improve my gut health.  For a week now I've been drinking 2 teaspoons of ACV in 2-3 ounces of water during mealtime.  If I was heading out to a party, I'd drink it before I left.  My gas is gone, my bloating is gone, I don't have to eat white rice for every meal.  I feel amazing!!  I'm not saying this little concoction is the cure-all for your intestinal issues, but it's worth adding to your repertoire to keep your gut a little happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment