Sunday, December 31, 2017

Let's Talk Resolutions

New Year's is just hours away and I'm sure like me, many of you are thinking about your New Year's Resolutions.  Those wonderful goals we set for ourselves at the start of a fresh year only to break them in the first week.  Let's get real, we have good intentions, but changing habits takes a lot of hard work.

We all want to quit a bad habit, eat a little healthier, be a little thinner, and workout a little bit more.  These are all worthy goals, but let's break it down into more "bite-sized" pieces.  There are thousands of diet plans, books, articles, websites, you name it out there.  That's all well and good, there is a lot of good health advice out in cyberspace, but how can you make it work for you?  Start small.  Yes, losing 30 pounds in 2018 or working out 7 days a week are incredible goals, but they can become a little overwhelming.  Weight loss doesn't happen overnight and if it does there is a huge chance you'll gain it all back as quickly as you lost it.  Getting into a fitness routine is incredible, but what happens when you can't work out for various reasons.  Both instances may cause you to give up because you're having trouble sticking to your goal.  I can't let you how many diets I've started over the years that once I had a slip-up, I gave up.

Here are a few simple changes we can all make to help us achieve our 2018 resolutions.

Replace soda with water.  I know, duh! Especially, with the drier winter air, we need extra fluids.   I've switched my family from sugary soda to flavored sparkling water.  Zero calories, zero sugar, and many now have zero sodium it's kind of a no-brainer.  You can find a multitude of amazing flavors too.  Yes, they do lack the sugary sweetness of soda, but it's a great way to hydrate and cut calories.  Find an awesome water bottle (truly this helps) and add flavor to you water.  Check out the graphic below for some fun ways to spice things up.


Stop counting calories.  I hate keeping track of my food!  I can do it for a meal and then I forget all about it.  Instead, eat when you're hungry, but chose whole foods.  Keep your fridge stocked with fresh fruits and veggies.  Yes, eat fruit!  It may have sugar in it, but it's a natural sugar beneficial for our health.  Have you ever seen an overweight gorilla?  I know I haven't and they just eat fruit!  Need a carb snack try air-popped popcorn or roasted nuts.  You can easily pop popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag in the microwave.  Top it with olive, avocado, or coconut oil and your favorite spices.  Craving a sweet treat, EAT IT!  This will prevent you from overeating other junk food to try and curb your craving.

Think outside the box when it comes to fitness.  I have a lofty goal of working out 6 days a week. Some weeks I do, some weeks it doesn't happen.  Instead of getting down about my lack of motivation I've started finding creative ways to stay in shape.  Complete your to-do list while burning calories.  I like to add a lunge as I vacuum for an added boost.  If you're able to, take the stairs at work.  Climbing stairs builds leg muscles, improves cardiovascular health, and burns calories.  Get outside and walk your dog, play with your kids, have a dance party in your living room.  Anything to move your body can improve your health!
  

We've got a fresh year right around the corner.  Small changes can lead to a lifetime of good health.  Are you ready?



No comments:

Post a Comment